Frequently Asked Questions

Get fast answers to your most common questions. You can also use the site Search at the top of the page to find answers quickly.

What's the Church's view?

Speak Out covers the wide range of topics and issues in which the Church is involved or has a view, and features a number of campaigns which the Church currently supports. You can also visit News which includes the latest news releases issued by our Communications department.

How do I arrange a wedding, funeral or baptism in a Church of Scotland church?

Life Events covers marriage in the Church of Scotland, and arranging wedding and baptism services.

Where is my ancestor buried?

We do not have a centralised database of burials. Burial records are held by either the individual church where the burial took place or by the local council of that area. See Historical Records for more detail.

Who do I contact about the gas and electricity provider for my church?

The General Trustees department can offer advice on this matter.

I'm a church officer, where do I find information and advice about finance, charity law etc?

Information for local churches and their officers are in Resources. There are a range of subjects covering guidance and advice from the Law department, and finance and accounts information for treasurers.

How can I get a copy of my baptism certificate?

Baptism certificates are held by the individual church where the baptism took place. If that church has since shut, records may have been passed on to other local churches, the relevant presbytery office or the National Archives. No baptism records are held at 121 George Street and no staff on the premises deal with them.

Do you have an archivist or historian?

No. The Church of Scotland's archives are held by the National Archives of Scotland. They can be contacted on 0131 535 1334.

We do not have any historians or archivists in our employment. Your local library or the National Library of Scotland may be able to help you with your enquiries.

How do I become a member of the Church?

Joining the Church outlines the usual way in which people join the Church of Scotland, and you can also find out more about our faith and beliefs.