Life and Work
Life and Work is the magazine of the Church of Scotland. In a history spanning over 130 years, it has established itself as the voice of the Church of Scotland.
Though firmly rooted in the affairs of the Kirk, it also aims to cover a broad range of subjects of interest to church-goers across the spectrum from international affairs and British political and social issues to science, ethics and the arts.
Each monthly issue includes a forum for views on current social and moral issues, a monthly meditation and regular articles on the spiritual side of life, reviews of the latest books, videos and Christian resources, and regular features on the Church worldwide.
Our subscription service offers you the convenience of having Life and Work magazine delivered direct to your door or any digital device; you can also arrange a gift subscription. Free Gaelic supplements are also available.
Current issue: January 2019
- Celebrating 150 Years of Social Care
- Lynne McNeil looks back at the proud history of social care in the Church of Scotland. Jackie Macadam looks at some of the innovative work carried out today by the Church of Scotland’s Social Care Council, CrossReach.
- ‘True Enrichment in Life’
- Jackie Macadam interviews Susan MacKenzie, a lifelong volunteer for the Girls’ Brigade
- ‘It’s Even More Amazing Than I Thought’
- Thomas Baldwin meets Amanda Mukwashi, the new chief executive of Christian Aid.
- Remembering the Iolaire
- How the Isle of Lewis will mark the sinking of the Iolaire, 100 years on. Plus, a prayer by the Very Rev Dr Angus Morrison
- Lest We Forget
- A gallery of images from across Scotland as churches marked the centenary of the end of World War One
- Burns Day
- The Very Rev Dr John Chalmers looks at the Bard’s relationship with the Church. The Very Rev Dr Finlay Macdonald offers prayers based on Burns’ poems.
Contact Life and Work
One of the magazine's most important elements is reader feedback. Our letters pages are among the liveliest in the magazine business, and are very revealing about general attitudes both within and beyond the Church. We actively encourage letters, but do ask that they are kept succinct (and not without humour), so we can publish as many as possible.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0131 225 5722
- Write: Life and Work, 121 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 4YN
Advertise in Life and Work
To place an advertisement in Life and Work, please contact our advertisers:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0141 204 2042
- Fax: 0141 204 2043
- Write: Publicity, Suite 4b Craighall Business Park, Glasgow G4 9XA