The Legal Questions Committee of The Church of Scotland responded to the Scottish Government’s document The Registration of Civil Partnerships, Same Sex Marriage in 2011.
The Convener of the Legal Questions Committee, the Rev Alan Hamilton, issued a statement emphasising some of the points made in the response.
“We are acutely aware that opinions differ among our own members and that many people are anxious and hurt in the current situation. We re-iterate that we believe homophobia to be sinful and we reaffirm our strong pastoral commitment to all people in Scotland, regardless of sexual orientation or beliefs.”
Documents and supporting material relating to the Church's position on same sex marriage
- Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act – Advice from the Principal Clerk 31 March 2014
- Consultation response 19 March 2013
- Press Release: Church re-iterates position on same sex marriage 12 December 2012
- Press Release: Church re-iterates position on same sex marriage 25 July 2012
- Convener of Legal Questions Committee comments on response to same sex marriage consultation 8 Dec 2011
- Full Consultation response 1 December 2011
- Press Release: The Church of Scotland response to same sex marriage consultation 1 December 2011