The Church of Scotland General Trustees form a statutory corporation set up in 1921 to hold properties and investments for the Church as a whole.
The General Trustees are charged with ensuring church buildings and funds are managed in the best interest of the Church as a whole and in support of parish ministry. The current chairperson is Mr Raymond K Young and the vice-chairperson is Mr Roger G Dodd.
This autumn the General Trustees are undertaking a Land and Buildings Survey. Find out more and take part in the survey.
What do the General Trustees do?
The General Trustees offer practical advice and guidance on maintaining and improving Church properties, manses and glebes. They produce guides and information to help congregations look after their properties. The General Trustees can also offer a limited amount of financial aid to congregations facing expenditure on their buildings. Find out more about looking after church buildings.
Who can be a General Trustee?
General Trustees are appointed by the General Assembly and must be either ministers or elders of the Church of Scotland. While there is no fixed number of trustees, normally there are around 36, of which just over a third are ministers. The elders can come from all walks of life but tend to be accountants, architects, lawyers and surveyors.
Meetings of the trustees and their executive committees are usually held fortnightly and trustees also are required to make frequent visits to parishes and presbyteries.
- Business Committee: Mr Raymond K Young
- Fabric Committee: Mr Roger GG Dodd
- Glebes Committee: Mr William M Lawrie
- Finance and Resources Committee: Mr Alan Kennedy
- Audit and Assurance Committee: Dr J. Kenneth Macaldowie
- Law Committee: Professor Stewart Brymer
Contact the Trustees
If you need more information about the work of the General Trustees please contact the Secretary, David Robertson, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For specific questions you can also contact:
- Glebes: Morag Menneer or Claire Cowell
- Fabric matters: Keith MasonNeil Page and Brian Waller
- Energy Conservation Scheme : Robert Lindores
- Health and Safety: Brian Auld
All can be contacted by emailing email@example.com or at the Church's offices in Edinburgh.
Dates of Meetings 2019
|General Trustees' Board||Committees: Business, Fabric, Glebe||Finance and Resources||Audit and Assurance||Safe Buildings Committee|
|10:30 - 15:30||
Business: 14:15 - 15:30|
Fabric: 10:30 - 12:30
Glebes: 10:45 - 12:45
|11:00 - 15:00||10:30 - 12:30||10:30 - 12:30|
|15-16 January (overnight)||29 January||-||22 January||25 January|
|12 February||26 February||20 February||-||-|
|19 March||-||27 March (10:30 - 12:30)||27 March||8 March|
|30 April||9 April||-||-||-|
|-||14 May||15 May||9 May||10 May|
|30 July||9 July||17 July||-||5 July|
|17 September||3 September||-||-||-|
|-||8 October||23 October||-||4 October|
|26 November||5 November||-||19 November||-|
|-||10 December||-||-||6 December|
Annual Report and Financial Statements
- 2018 General Trusteees Annual report and Financial Statement
- 2017 General Trusteees Annual report and Financial Statement
- 2016 General Trusteees Annual report and Financial Statement
- 2015 General Trusteees Annual report and Financial Statement
- 2014 General Trusteees Annual report and Financial Statement