Life and Work
Life and Work is the magazine of the Church of Scotland. In a history spanning over 140 years, it has established itself as the voice of the Church of Scotland.
Though firmly rooted in the affairs of the Kirk, it also aims to cover a broad range of subjects of interest to church-goers across the spectrum, from international affairs and British political and social issues to science, ethics, and the arts.
Each monthly issue includes a forum for views on current social and moral issues; a monthly meditation and regular articles on the spiritual side of life; reviews of the latest books, videos, and Christian resources; and regular features on the Church worldwide.
Our subscription service offers you the convenience of having Life and Work magazine delivered direct to your door or any digital device; you can also arrange a gift subscription. Free Gaelic supplements are also available.
During this challenging period, Life and Work is committed to helping keep our Christian community connected. The magazine continues to be published and distributed to our loyal readers. If you need to contact our team, please email editorial enquiries to email@example.com or all other enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This month, we have launched Lockdown Weekly, a free weekly update which we hope will be a useful resource to help people keep in touch with events in the Church of Scotland while churches are shut and many of us are in isolation. Free every Friday to download from the Life and Work website.
Current issue: June 2020
- On the Frontline With Covid-19
- The stories of some of the frontline workers – in hospitals, prisons, schools and the police force – dealing with the impact of the pandemic
- Coming Home
- Coming Home Jackie Macadam hears about the early life of Margaret Beetham, daughter of Church of Scotland missionary and theologian Lesslie Newbigin
- 21st Century Churches
- The start of a new series looking at church buildings in the 21st century hears from a minister and an architect who have been involved in new building projects
- The Strength of a Seed
- In the continuing series marking the 50th anniversary of the Church of Scotland’s SRT, biologist Ruth Bancewicz says the church should draw attention to the wonders of God’s creation
- In Love, Faith and Hope
- Dana McQuater, the last Moderator of the Church of Scotland’s National Youth Assembly in its current form, reflects on some of the highlights of her year in office.
- Family Feuds
- Continuing her series on conflict and reconciliation, Ruth Harvey looks at Joseph’s story in Genesis 37.
- ‘We Are Deeply Connected’
- The Very Rev Dr John Chalmers considers the long-term impact of the Coronavirus Covid-19 on churches.
Contact Life and Work
One of the magazine's most important elements is reader feedback. Our letters pages are among the liveliest in the magazine business, and are very revealing about general attitudes both within and beyond the Church. We actively encourage letters, but do ask that they are kept succinct (and not without humour), so we can publish as many as possible.
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0131 225 5722
- Write: Life and Work, 121 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 4YN
Advertise in Life and Work
To place an advertisement in Life and Work, please contact our advertisers:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0141 204 2042
- Fax: 0141 204 2043
- Write: Publicity, Suite 4b Craighall Business Park, Glasgow G4 9XA