Life and Work
Life and Work is the magazine of the Church of Scotland. In a history spanning over 140 years, it has established itself as the voice of the Church of Scotland.
Though firmly rooted in the affairs of the Kirk, it also aims to cover a broad range of subjects of interest to church-goers across the spectrum, from international affairs and British political and social issues to science, ethics, and the arts.
Each monthly issue includes a forum for views on current social and moral issues; a monthly meditation and regular articles on the spiritual side of life; reviews of the latest books, videos, and Christian resources; and regular features on the Church worldwide.
Our subscription service offers you the convenience of having Life and Work magazine delivered direct to your door or any digital device; you can also arrange a gift subscription. Free Gaelic supplements are also available.
During this challenging period, Life and Work is committed to helping keep our Christian community connected. The magazine continues to be published and distributed to our loyal readers. If you need to contact our team, please email editorial enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or all other enquiries to email@example.com.
This month, we have launched Lockdown Weekly, a free weekly update which we hope will be a useful resource to help people keep in touch with events in the Church of Scotland while churches are shut and many of us are in isolation. Free every Friday to download from the Life and Work website.
Current issue: August 2020
- Biblical Plants and Sacred Spaces
- Lynne McNeil discovers how you can create a direct link to the Bible in a garden or balcony
- Jennifer’s Story
- Thomas Baldwin learns how the loss of a precious baby daughter provided the backdrop for the author of a new book.
Plus, the work of a charity which provides a Christian charity on issues of miscarriage, infant loss and infertility.
- New Churches in the 20th Century
- The final part in the series looks at a rural parish that got a new lease of life by uniting in one extended building.
- Our Wake-up Moment
- In his first column as Moderator, the Rt Rev Dr Martin Fair reflects on the impact of the pandemic.
- Emergent Church
- Ruth Harvey considers the pathway for the Church from lockdown offered by Matthew 18.
- The Children of God
- In this month’s youth column, three teenage siblings reflect on their baptism.
Contact Life and Work
One of the magazine's most important elements is reader feedback. Our letters pages are among the liveliest in the magazine business, and are very revealing about general attitudes both within and beyond the Church. We actively encourage letters, but do ask that they are kept succinct (and not without humour), so we can publish as many as possible.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0131 225 5722
- Write: Life and Work, 121 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 4YN
Advertise in Life and Work
To place an advertisement in Life and Work, please contact our advertisers:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0141 204 2042
- Fax: 0141 204 2043
- Write: Publicity, Suite 4b Craighall Business Park, Glasgow G4 9XA