A Future that’s Bigger than the Past: Chalmers Lectures 2019
Rev Dr Sam Wells, Vicar of St Martin-in-the-Fields in London and inspirational founder of the HeartEdge movement, will deliver the 2019 Chalmers Lectures this autumn. Entitled ‘A Future that’s Bigger than the Past’, the six lectures will focus on the theology and methods of HeartEdge as a vision for renewal in the Church.
Launched at St Martin-in-the-Fields in 2017, HeartEdge is a membership-based organisation, an ecumenical network of partners and a movement for renewal.
The name HeartEdge reflects the group’s purpose - for those working at the heart of commerce, culture and community, with those at the margins and on the edge.
Through joining the network, churches are supported in finding their stories, share resources and connect with others developing their church and community.
A Future that’s Bigger than the Past
The six Chalmers Lectures being delivered by Dr Wells throughout the autumn at Greyfriars Kirk in Edinburgh from 6pm-8pm are:
- For Such a Time as This: Locating the UK Church in a global and gospel story – Tuesday 17 September
- Investing in the Kingdom: Taking money beyond the benefactor and the steward – Wednesday 18 September
- Minding God’s Business: Realigning commerce and Church – Thursday 19 September
- Entertaining Angels Unawares: How God renews the Church through the stones that the builders reject – Tuesday 1 October
- Let All the People Praise Thee: How the Church may be part of a cultural renaissance – Wednesday 2 October
- On Earth as it is in Heaven: Towards a vision for the renewal of congregational life – Thursday 3 October
The final three lectures in the series will be heard during the HeartEdge Annual Conference.
For those who are unable to attend in person, the lectures will also be live-streamed through the Church of Scotland website and available in audio format.
For more information, please get in touch with Rev Jonathan Evens, HeartEdge organiser and Associate Vicar of St Martin-in-the-Fields, by email or by telephoning: 020 7766 1127.
The Chalmers Lectures at Greyfriars Kirk are open to the public and free to attend. All dates are from 6pm to 8pm.
- Tuesday 17 September
- Wednesday 18 September
- Thursday 19 September
- Tuesday 1 October
- Wednesday 2 October
- Thursday 3 October
Venue: Greyfriars Kirk, Greyfriars Place, Edinburgh EH1 2QQ