Art and architecture resources
The Committee on Church Art and Architecture ( CARTA ) advises and regulates the development of buildings to meet new needs and circumstances in partnership with the General Trustees.
Areas of work
The Committee advises congregations and presbyteries regarding the most appropriate way of carrying out renovations, alterations, and reordering of interiors, having regard to the architectural quality of Church buildings. It also advises on the installation of stained glass, tapestries, memorials, furniture, and furnishings, and provides advice on the repair, maintenance, or renewal of organs.
Any alteration in the exterior or interior of a Church building which affects its appearance must be referred to the Committee for approval, preferably at an early stage. Members of the Committee are prepared, when necessary, to visit churches and meet office-bearers with the services offered by the Committee free of charge.
The Committee seeks the conservation of the nation's heritage as expressed in its Church buildings, whilst at the same time helping to ensure that these buildings continue to serve the worship and witness of the Church in the present day.
CARTA request form
CARTA quick guides
- Access for all - This guide provides information on some of the issues you may encounter while ensuring that your church is accessible to all
- Audio visual - A quick guide for those considering an audio visual system
- Church lighting - The Church Lighting Quick Guide has been provided to assist churches looking to make changes to their lighting
- Organs and Musical Instruments - Information on the use of organs in churches
- Reordering Church Interiors - Information on making changes to church interiors
- Sacramental Vessels - Advice on the disposal or storage of sacramental items
- Storage of Sacramental Vessels - Information on how communion ware can be stored safely
- Dementia Friendly Church Buildings - This Quick Guide has been written by Professor June Andrews to help make your church building dementia friendly
CARTA information leaflets
A series of information pamphlets are available to download below.
- Accessibility: Considering Inclusion
- Alterations during a vacancy
- Application for disposal of church furnishings
- Better lighting for churches
- Briefing the artist: Commissioning a new stained glass window
- CARTA Energy Issues
- Church windows: Maintenance, protection, repair and replacement and commissioning
- Getting the most from working with an architect
- Gifts and memorials: 20 Commemorative ideas
- History of CARTA to 2005
- Re-ordering church interiors: Space for a living church
- Sacramental Vessels: Heritage, Value, Care and Disposal
- The setting of Presbyterian worship
For further information regarding CARTA, please email the Church of Scotland General Trustees